Monday, June 17, 2013

Spotlight on The Red Rube




When Alpha Danger Squad: Karno's Perfect game gets released later this year, I am hopeful you will like "get" what I'm trying to do. And while I'm a big believer in show-don't-tell, I think you might want to wet your appetite on a bit more of the creative process behind each character. Or whatever.

Today's subject is The Red Rube. Young Reuben Reuben was an orphan, in the worst orphanage in the world. Rather than face the whip one more time, he runs away.



NO CHILD LEFT ALIIIVE HAHAHAHAHA!


Lucky for him he finds  a would be adopter with a castle. Unlucky for him he dies.

Get a load of Quaker-guy, over there.
By chance, he finds an portrait gallery in the castle, and by chance all the subjects are named just like him.

What do you figure the skinhead in the wifebeater's gonna give him?
Eventually he is faced with the ghostly aparitions of his ancestors. Turns out he's the last in a line of great men. The ghosts agree that they oughta help him get back at the orphanage, so they, after squabling about it, decide to give him all their talents.
My  version's probably just gonna yell "Mira, cabron!"
 He can channel them into an adult avatar all by yelling "Hey Rube!" It's a carney thing. No, I did not know about it before running into him.

So most people will agree that Red Ruben is probably not coincidentally similar to  Captain Marvel, albeit without the more metahuman abilities  and shirt. I kind of agree.

See, at first I wanted to make add Captain Marvel. But I kinda feared DC's indomitable wrath. I've heard Archie's wrath is pretty domitable.

So looking at this character I aproached it from a what if mindset.  The Reuben's are a line of great men who  can, from the afterlife, channel their power into their last descendant. But what if that last descendant was a girl?  Since Red Rube is "all of them, wrapped up into one, wouldn't she become a man?

In my version, Rubina Reubens is the last of a long line descending from the tribe of Reuben. The great men of her family where hunted down by Mysery, who cannot die until all of them are dead.  The ancestors only give Rubina the powers because otherwise Mysery is going to kill her pretty dead, ending the family line.

I'm also adding to him  tornado based powers. I wouldn't want anyone confusing him with Captain Marvel...  would I?

No comments:

Post a Comment